Monday, July 20, 2009

Voyage Dans la Lune


Une Voyage dans la Lune, originally uploaded by Fiona...Rae.

I don't quite know how I feel about the moon landing. It was obviously an amazing feat scientifically and politically. The thing is that I wish I could have lived in a time when the moon was still a mystery - a possibility.
Not that I don't love science and discovery... I do. I just think that sometimes we lose something fantastic along the way.
So in honor of the 4oth anniversary of the American moon landing, I'm reveling in the Edwardian era. The first step was to watch George Melies' 1902 "Voyage dans la Lune".

Voyage dans la Lune, originally uploaded by sidewalk_story.

The Smashing Pumpkins "Tonight Tonight" video is likewise amazing.

papermoon 124, originally uploaded by stevechasmar.

There is a terrific Flickr group called "It's Only a Paper Moon" for old carnival photos of people posed with a crescent moon cut out. This picture is one of my favourites. The woman's pose and expression gives the scene a melancholy air.

Ahhhh, well. Off to dream a little more and perhaps watch the Moulin Rouge moonlit dance scene (again).


No comments: