Tuesday, December 15, 2009

They Say it's Your Birthday




Hello, hello!  I'm back again, after a long hiatus.  It is indeed my birthday (yay!) and I'm looking forward to a fantastic new year.

But first I want to look back at a great little nature walk I took with my family in Winnipeg's Assiniboine forest.  Assiniboine forest is a park/preserve of the natural woodland in this area, right in the city.  I love it there.  We went in the middle of November, which is usually frigid here but was unseasonably warm this year (thank-you, El Nino!).  The leaves had mostly fallen but the moss was still green and "flowering" - it was a beautiful day.




















Lovely, isn't it?  It's amazing to think that the whole city was once a natural boreal forest!  We've seen all sorts of wildlife at the forest, including deer, beavers, many birds, and of course, insects.  It makes me sad to see nature increasingly marginalized, even though I do appreciate the comforts of modern life (especially in the -20C weather we are now experiencing!).  I am very happy that there is this tiny portion of the past can be preserved, and that I can share it with my son.

No comments: